A Real Mercedes-Benz.




It is no secret that I have a real appreciation for German cars, particularly those from the Mercedes-Benz family.  The cars I really connect with tend to be those from the mid seventies to the mid eighties.  During this era the designs were pretty much as perfect as you can get,in my opinion. The build was solid and the overall look was synonymous with German (over) engineering.  However, these cars were not so utilitarian so as to lose any trace of personality, not at all for the models from this period have this in absolute abundance.  From nose to tail they have an incredible number of characteristics that are uniquely Mercedes and befitting of the era from which they hail.  These are just some of the things that provide them the appeal, but to be honest there are a whole host of ingredients that combine to give this car a set of qualities that never fails to make my head turn when I see one.  

The models that I have a real interest are those which are built on the W123 chassis, badged as the 200 range, or E Class.  I truly believe that these cars signify the pinnacle of Mercedes-Benz design.  At the front end they had the classic MB upright grille, an icon that has sadly been taken out of the design mix altogether now.  This lent itself perfectly to the lights and other features to give the W123 a perfect face.  The body is the classic three box shape, with each element in perfect proportion, but they don't look boxy, the lines have enough curve to soften the profile of the car, this is amplified by the ever so slight flare of the side panels, as well as by the subtle curve of the roof.  The body lines and contours add up to a relatively simple design with a lack of fuss.  However, the little details also add a great deal to the distinctive look of the W123 and these things are equally appealing to me.  The fluted tail lights, the body coloured steel hub caps, the chrome work even the shape of the wing mirrors, and of course that fantastic chrome grille, topped with the three pointed star emblem.  I like the look of both the European and US spec models, in fact I think the bigger US DOT regulation bumpers lend themselves to the car really well.

The design is a true classic, but for me there is something else that really captures the imagination.  I know that a lot of this is down to nostalgia, the concept of which I am more than familiar with when it come to cars and other items that I appreciate. These were the cars of my childhood, my Grandad had one (a blue, 2nd generation model in the early eighties) and I owned many die cast toy replicas, one way or another they have remained fixed in my imagination throughout much of my life.  These days I simply love the design and the kind of image that they portray.  A straight forward German flavoured elegance, a perfectly evolved design, in which you can see clearly see the heritage as shared with previous generations of the Mercedes family.  At the time of its launch the W123 would have been marketed as an aspirational purchase.  At the lower end of the Mercedes range, it would have been aimed squarely at the young executive and fleet markets. Although now, decades later it has shaken these staid middle class connotations and has a feel that is much more contemporary look and feel.  Fitting comfortably in the same bracket as a vintage Omega watch for example.  A timeless classic, that has all the right elements to make it appealing to those who appreciate and admire good design.  The mark of which can be gauged by the fact that it is particularly popular with the Hipster crowd. And I guess this is the point, they have a relatively low value, so cannot be defined in the same way as true classics, which means that people ain't scared to use 'em, and have them as daily drivers.

Until fairly recently the W123 was fairly common sight, here and abroad.  Their rock solid build made them the car of choice for many taxi fleets throughout the world, in fact in the past decade I have travelled in more than one that was still in use as a taxi.  I used to see them on the road at fairly regular intervals too.  But of late they are becoming a rare breed, seeing one is while out and about is the exception, rather than the rule.  Although I am happy to say that there are still quite a few remaining in the wild in California, where the climate is far more kind to cars of a age, so rust isn't so much of an issue. I have seen many examples that are in time capsule condition, despite being in day to day use.

Anyway, I have thought about owning one for years, and one day I really will.  Looking in the classifieds section of Mercedes Enthusiast Magazine, there are many examples going for the same kind of money has a few year old used hatch back.  So when I am feeling brave, or reckless I am going to get one, use it every day and I don't think I will ever tire of owning it (although this level of misty eyed romanticism could quickly bring things into focus when the bills roll in, but I won't let that sully the dream).






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Bug.

Magic Board.

Beautiful Boards!