Magic Board.


A short time ago I took ownership of what I can only describe as being a magic board. And it cost me a mere hundred and fifty pounds too.

Realising that my Donald Takayama was getting a bit too much use as my daily board, I made the decision to find something new. These days I tend to shy away from cutting edge modern design, preferring fish and long boards. But I figured what the heck, let's find out how these modern craft go.  

Being on a bit of a tight budget I set myself the challenge of finding a decent used example. After trawling the various sources of second hand boards, it didn't take too long to realise that anything that was any good was getting snapped up immediately, or else it was dramatically over priced. I began to loose my enthusiasm and looked at some of the fleet of old boards that I have with different eyes. One of those was going to have to do.

Then, just as I was going to give up the chase I found a board that was pretty much what I was looking for. I contacted the seller, made my offer and arrangements were made to collect my 5'10" Simon Anderson 5 Spark. (The story of how the purchase went down is fantastic in itself, one day I will share those shenanigans, but you couldn't make it up!).
Anyway, the board is truly fantastic, I have used it quite a lot in recent months, in a diverse range of conditions and it goes so well in anything in the under head high category of waves.  

Immediately as I took off on my first wave I realised that it was special, for it does exactly what I want it to do, moves in every direction that could wish for, feels as though it is glued to my feet and it is sooooo much fun! It has made me realise just how great modern boards are, they are designed so well to work in the conditions that they were intended for. 

Now, I have to say that I pride myself in my ability to ride boards of different shapes and styles, but I can't help but wish that I had found something like this years ago. I might even have said to my wife that had I owned a board like this when I was eighteen, I would have turned pro. This was very much a tongue-in-cheek statement, but one that illustrates the point, very well!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Bug.

Beautiful Boards!