It's surfing, but not as I know it.


I am starting to wonder whether the version of surfing that I know and love stills exists, in a local context.

I began surfing in the mid eighties, the local, West Cornwall scene was fairly strong at this time and I was quickly captivated by the world of surfing.  I loved the beach life and the characters that were found there, as well as the styles and clothes, almost as much as I loved surfing itself.  For me it was all about the complete package.  As soon as I discovered surfing, it was like being given access to a whole new world, I loved the feeling that this gave me, and for many years it played a huge part in my life.

I always looked towards California for my inspiration, emulating the styles both in and out of the water as seen in the US magazines at this time.  And I think this is where the shift in British surf culture came about.  British surfing came of age at some point in the mid 90's, people who surfed no longer had to look to the US or Australia for inspiration, they could fine this a lot closer to home.  A lot of home grown brands emerged, and long established ones thrived, suddenly it was a lot more main stream.

But this was relatively short lived, as tends to happen with most things, tastes change and people follow new trends and pursuits.  Surfing didn't have the same level of interest that it once did, not helped by the global financial down turn, many of the UK born brands and shops disappeared.  With this came a real change in surfing, this is only my opinion, but it all got a bit Clichy.  Many of the younger surfers emerged with a sneery attitude and a real passive aggressiveness. This left me high and dry as I simply couldn't relate to it, and now these guys are a bit older, I still can't, in fact I can honestly say that I am now completely at odds with the current culture that surrounds surfing that I see locally.

I know that every generation looks back to 'their' era with a sense of nostalgia, but I don't think that this applies to me, things really have changed.  For example, traditional surf brands have taken a dive, shunned by many surfers, these brands aren't really seen in the same way that I did. They simply do not have the same level of kudos as they once did.  After several brands came to light and had their day, it almost seems as though no labels are to be warn these days.  And as for surf related stickers adorned on cars, these are now pretty much non existent, such is the back lash against the brands that were once coveted by surfers.

From what I can tell, this is unique to British surfing, for on my travels it seems as though places such as France or California still have a scene and vibe that I recognize and can really relate to.  People of all ages still wear surf wear, and the culture is still very strong, I like that and wish that things were still that way here.

I hope I am wrong, I would love to think that that there are those who surf and share the same philosophy and attitude that I have, but I have to say that I haven't been able to find them, not in the UK at least.  Surfing still means everything to me that it always did, it continues to fill me with excitement, I still love the aspects of it that I always have done. I buy the clothes, love a good surf shop and try to live the beach life as best I can.  It just seems that am a one man scene these days!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Bug.

Magic Board.

Beautiful Boards!