Storm jaded.

Well it seems that today we have been given a brief respite from the relentless storms that we have been enduring for too many weeks now.  Looking at the weather forecasts it is going to be a very short period of calm, before the next round of violence comes our way.

Looking at the countless posts on Facebook and alike, pictures and footage of storm waves and the subsequent destruction, it really does seem that I am one of the few people who are well and truly fed up with this pattern of weather.  Since the end of October, the 27th to be precise, there has been a preoccupation with the next storm.  People everywhere have been surmising and speculating about how bad it's going to be, the size of the swell, the strength of the wind.  Many seem to be getting a real kick out of seeing the beaches being destroyed, sand washed out, dunes and cliffs washed out.  The greater the perceived damage, the more excited people seem to get.  The hunger for these images seems insatiable, maybe it is a reflection of the times in which we live, but so many people seem to be clambering to get that perfect shot, and to share it with everyone they can. I include many of my friends in this. 

I am not one of these people.  Every time I see a photo of one of my favourite beaches, sans sand, I feel genuine sadness, like wise when I see Penzance being hammered, Newlyn Green having been ripped apart.  And then I look at the forecast, and there is no let up in sight.  And the talk is of the next one being even bigger, oh my, that does fill me with joy!

I love the ocean, I love waves, but the way that it looks in the midst of a storm does not fill me with joy, not at all.  Of late, the sea which I so love has looked ugly, mean and violent, full of vicious intent. The waves that have been hammering us are not the kind of waves that I appreciate, they cannot be ridden, and I don't think they even look that great.  Yes, they are big, the biggest ever, according to many, but for all the spray that they throw up as they hit the cliffs of Sennen and alike, they hold next to no appeal.  This might sound melodramatic and even ridiculous, but I am longing for the sea to calm down, to return to its proper colour, and to become a thing of beauty again. I know it will happen, but not soon enough.  In the meantime, I am just going to have to ignore it, the best I can and hope that the destruction isn't too great and look forward to when things return to normal.







Some shots from last Summer, no waves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Bug.

Magic Board.

Beautiful Boards!