A Great Little Shop.

On the weekend I set foot in one of the best surf shops that I have experienced in an awful long time, in this country at least.

The shop is Trans Surf, in Mawgan Porth, which is just up the coast from Newquay in Cornwall.  I happened to be in the area for the weekend and while exploring I came across the shop.  Being in the market for a new suit, boots etc for winter I thought I would look inside.  Not that I actually need much persuasion, when it comes to surf shops my resistance is pretty much non existent, so I would have ventured in anyway. But I am so glad that I did.

It became immediately apparent that Trans Surf is one of a rare breed. To begin with, as soon as I set foot inside the door it struck me as being a 100% real, genuine, authentic surf shop, one with sand on the floor and everything! It is within sight of the beach and the Atlantic beyond and above all else it had a friendly vibe.  The lady working gave me such a smiley, friendly welcome, something that I have to say is becoming a novelty these days, in any shop, but especially surf shops. Anyway, I was delighted to discover it was also packed with surfboards, wetsuits, accessories and great clothing too. Basically, it is full of the right stuff. In fact the selection of items on offer at Trans Surf rivals that of any shop that I have been in in the world.

So I was looking for a suit, but got instantly distracted by the other things, it really did give me that feeling of being in a sweet shop as a child.  For everywhere I looked there was amazing surf stuff, things that I really like, brands that I am really into. But I remained focussed on my task of looking for a new suit. Seeing that I was a little lost, the lady working asked me if she could help, and upon me telling here what I was looking for, she pointed me in the right direction and even apologized for eating her cake!  The suits turned out to be right where I was looking, sometimes I really do deserve the Magoo title that my partner gives me!

It was a little early in the season for the full range of Winter stock to be in, but there were one or two early arrivals that the lady was happy to recommend based upon my size and budget. One of them really took my fancy, this was an O'Neill Pyro Tech and was an absolute beauty. The one on the peg was in my size, and a really cool colour too.  However, it was a little more than I had to spend on the day, especially in light of the fact that I needed boots too.  So while I was more than tempted to just get it there and then and had that whole what the heck, get it anyway feeling, I resisted and reluctantly I put it back.

That said, I was so impressed by the whole experience that I will definitely be going back with a view of getting my new suit in the near future.

As I mentioned before, there are so many shops where the experience is exactly the opposite, in that they are incredibly unfriendly and make me feel as though I have invaded their private space by my being there.  And they want me to spend my money with them? Good luck with that guys!

I really do hope that Trans Surf are doing really well, they deserve to.  For me it is like stepping into how a surf shop should be. Everything about my visit was so positive, I am only sorry that I didn't buy anything from them, on this occasion at least.  Rest assured I will do in the future.

I am super stoked and then some to have found them, thanks to Trans Surf my faith in British surf shops has been restored!


They have a really great logo too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Bug.

Magic Board.

Beautiful Boards!