Mollusk Surf Shop...Surf Retail Perfection.



Surf shops get me as excited now as they did when I was a grom, in fact I really struggle to pass one by.  Wherever I am in the world, if I spot one, I'm in it.

I have my favourites that are both local and further afield, and I love discovering new ones too.  But I never fail to get excited when I visit a good one.  I get a real sense of anticipation when I enter through the doors, and then once inside I am hit with the sight of all that surf stuff, the smell of wetsuit neoprene and board wax filling the air.

Every now and then I get to visit a Surf Shop that is on my wish list.  One such shop is Mollusk in San Francisco, which has been on my radar for quite some time, and recently I was able to visit it in person. I wasn't disappointed.

As we were heading south from Guerneville to Monterey we would have been pretty much passing the door, so the zip code was plugged into the GPS and off we went.  The journey itself was outstanding in itself, we travelled through wine country, farm country, the Marin Hills, then over the bridge and into San Francisco, all in beautiful Spring morning sunshine with an incredible selection of music on the car stereo.  Not a bad way to spend a Wednesday morning.

On arriving at the shop we parked right outside, and what a sight greeted us.  The shop looks fantastic, and through the large front window I could see the incredible selection of surf related treasures on display.  I couldn't get out of the car and in through the doors quick enough.

As soon as I was in through the doors I got that surf shop smell that I know and love so much.  The shop has an amazing vibe, one that is friendly, laid back and everything that I would want a surf shop of its kind to be.  We were greeted by the lady working there, who got chatting to K about weddings and al sorts, it turned out that she and her partner were also married at City Hall, just a few weeks previously. So cool.

I was blown away by the selection of boards that were racked up from floor to ceiling, down the whole of one of the walls.  They were my kind of boards and true things of beauty.  Mandalas, Campbell Brothers, Gary Hanels, Tyler Warrens, they were all here, looking resplendent.  I could have bought any one of them.  Alas, I feared that they would have succumbed horrible damage on the plane journey home,which would have been a shame. So despite the strong feelings of temptation, I decided to leave without one.

I did however pick up a copy of Jason Baffa's, Bella Vita, which I had been holding back on buying until this trip,  To get my copy from Mollusk made it even more special. I also picked up a hooded sweatshirt and K an new t-Shirt, which she is stoked with.  The lady also gave me some free stickers, I always like that!

So all-in-all it was a wholly exciting and enjoyable experience. The shop was everything that I wanted it to be, friendly, smiley with a great vibe.  The selection of stock is just perfect and everything is set out in such a way that it all looks simply beautiful. Plus it is a mere block or two from Ocean Beach, the perfect testing ground for any new board.

I cannot wait to get the opportunity to go back, next time one of those boards will be coming home with me, for sure!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Bug.

Magic Board.

Beautiful Boards!