One California Day



While on the subject of California, I thought I would say a few words about one of the finest surf films there ever was, One California Day.

This film sums up the California surfing experience for me perfectly. In fact when ever I am in need of some Cali sunshine, it goes on and never fails to lift my mood by taking me to the Golden State, by way of the DVD player.

Having got the goose bumps when I saw the trailer for the first time, I got to see the full film early in 2008, when K had managed to get me a copy for Christmas, (I am fairly confident in saying that I had the first copy in the UK, coming straight from Jason Baffa).  This was a defining moment in my surfing life.  For here was a film that wasn't backed by one of the corporate surf companies, it didn't feature the main-stream pros of the time, no competitions, no groms and none of the ego driven BS that is so often found in surf movies.  No, it was pure California, featuring some of the most soulful, stylish and down right great board sliders there are.  Shot beautifully in 16mm film and set to a blistering sound track, OCD is one of my favorite surf movies of all time.  In fact I would place it in my list of all time favorite films, full stop.

As for the surfing, simply put, that is just beautiful, from start to finish it is all about the purer elements of Californian surfing, from San Diego, right up to Crescent City way up there in the far north of the state.  Each section focuses on a different area and its local icons, perfectly demonstrating the diversity of the waves on offer as well as the rich surfing heritage that is evident there.

I can honestly say that OCD opened provided me with an entirely new perspective on surfing.  For this was not an historical account of surfing that was, this stuff was happening now, in a place that I know and love.  Shortly after seeing it I got my first longboard with ever intention of learning to ride it properly.  I can't tell you how much stoke this gave me and I have never looked back.  I now ride a longboard as often as I do a short board, and have learned how to cross step, and ride the nose.  It has altered the way that I surf, look at waves and view surf culture.

So it is safe to say that One California Day had a real impact on me, and was at least part responsible for providing me with a whole new approach towards surfing.  For that, I will be eternally grateful.


 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Bug.

Magic Board.

Beautiful Boards!