Have You Seen Him...



Photo J Grant Brittain?


I have always been very close to skating.  In fact I began riding skateboards long before I got my first surfboard.  In the same way that I appreciate the look and style that is associated with surfing, I also love the aesthetics of skating.  The graphics and logos were wholly different to those of surfing, but they really appealed to me, particularly those that were born out of the mid 1980's.

Arguably the most influential skate company of that era was Powell Peralta, they developed such a strong identity which over the years has been much emulated.  I believe that Powell Peralta was the first skate company to produce films featuring their team riders.  This was obviously a very cleaver means of promoting not only the Bones Brigade themselves, but also the signature decks, clothing, wheels and other Powell Peralta/Bones products.  The first of these films that I saw was The Search for Animal Chin, and featured the legendary Chin ramp. The skating was incredible and created a lasting impression upon me, nut I also loved everything about this and the other Bones Brigade films.  For while skating and surfing were poles apart in every way at this time, I quite liked the fact that I had a foot in both camps, I would never mix surf attire with skate, for that was a big no, no.  but while surfing was my main  pursuit, skating was a close second.

I really like the fact that the decks and
other products of this period are now available as reissues, while it makes me feel old on the one had, on the other it takes me back to being 15 again!


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Bug.

Magic Board.

Beautiful Boards!