VW Transporter, Keep it Stock.

This post is all about the VW Van.  Few vehicles have had such appeal, for so long, what makes the VW van even more incredible is that it is a commercial vehicle, originating from post war Germany and designed with work in mind.  There are not many everyday cars that have the type of allure that the Transporter has experienced for well over 60 years.

For me there are several reasons why the VW van is far more than just a van.  To begin with it has a face and heaps of personality, each generation has maintained the lines and aesthetics that set it aside from other commercial vehicles.  Also, the VW van has always had associations with California, and as being a little more left field.  They are of course mass produced, but despite this they somehow manage to maintain a degree of individuality and style. Volkswagen have in the past always styled their cars in a way that gives them lots of appeal, in an understated way.  This charm, coupled with an overall design that is pretty much timeless and a build quality that is synonymous with German cars and certainly Volkswagens throughout history, has ensured that the Transporter has stood up to the test of time, in every sense.

At a personal level, the Transporter has always been close to my heart.  My Dad owned them throughout the 1970s, in fact some of the earliest photos of me taken as a baby are of me in or near a 1972, white type 2 panel van.  I will have to try and find these pictures.  This was replaced with an orange T2 in 1979, when my Dad had one of the last of the T2s from new.  Later, when I started surfing, the Transporter was the surf vehicle of choice for many, quite a few of my friends have owned them over the years, and I have great memories of many adventures that took place thanks to a Transporter.  These were mainly T2s, but a few of the older guys had the T2.5, which was more current at that time.  These were held in high regard by me, and I am sure many others too, they were the first generation to move away from the classic VW van look, and went for a much bolder, squarer design that was a lot more in keeping with the range of cars that VW were producing at the time.  I still remember the first time I saw one and thinking 'what have they done', I must have been 8 at the time. But as with many vehicles, the new design grows on me, and in time I come to accept it.  One of my absolute favourites was a two tone blue, chrome bumpered T2.5 Bus that I used to see locally, but never knew who it belonged to.  It was a Californian import, and as such was left hand drive, everything was stock and in great condition, even though it was obviousley someone's daily driver.  This is key for me, as I have mentioned before, I like cars, and vans to be as they were when they were new, without modifications, or anything that isn't from the era from when they were produced.


The Transporter has gone through a number of evolutions over the years, I like them all, but the older ones have the greatest appeal for me, but stock, and originality is key.  There is no need to add spoilers, big alloy wheels, or other bits and pieces to these vans.  They have huge amounts of style and charisma as they are, as such they simply do not need 'improving'.  This is as true for the latest examples of the T5 as it is for the previous models.  The ones that are left as standard look great, but those that have the huge wheels, the chrome and the glittery paint work look at best little bit uncomfortable, but the ones that have had the most 'work' are just plain ugly and reek of being a bit try hard.  But hey, that is simply my own personal opinion, but regardless whether it is a car or a van in question, it is one that I will always stick with.  Stock is always best!

 


Sorry, I don't know the origin of these photos.
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Bug.

Magic Board.

Beautiful Boards!